THERE ARE THREE TYPES OF TRANSFERS THAT CAN OCCUR IN THE FALL
1. Transfer-Reassignment Within School Without Posting WVC §18A-4-7a (t)
Notwithstanding any other provision of the code to the contrary, upon recommendation of the principal and approval by the classroom teacher and county board, a classroom teacher assigned to the school may at any time be assigned to a new or existing classroom teacher position at the school without the position being posted.
2. Transfer-Reassignment due to Decreased Student Enrollment WVC §18A-2-7 (e)
When actual student enrollment in a grade level or program, unforeseen before May 1 of the preceding school year, permits the assignment of fewer teachers or service personnel to or within a school under any pupil-teacher ratio, class size or caseload standard, the superintendent, with board approval, may reassign the surplus personnel to another school or to another grade level or program within the school if needed there to comply with any such pupil-teacher ratio, class size or caseload standard.
▪ Before any reassignment may occur, notice shall be provided to the employee and the employee shall be provided an opportunity to appear before the county board to state the reasons for his or her objections, if any, prior to the board voting on the reassignment.
▪ The reassignment may be made at any time during the school year when the conditions of this subsection are met; provided that, the reassignment may not occur after the last day of the second school month.
▪ A professional employee reassigned under this subsection shall be the least senior of the surplus professional personnel who holds certification or licensure to perform the duties at the other school or at the grade level or program within the school.
▪ A service employee reassigned under this subsection shall be the least senior of the surplus personnel who holds the same classification or multiclassification needed to perform the duties at the other school or at the grade level or program within the same school.
▪ No school employee’s annual contract term, compensation or benefits shall be changed as a result of a reassignment under this subsection.
3. Transfer-Realignment Within an Elementary School WVC §18A-4-7a (p)
Notwithstanding any other provision of the code to the contrary, where the total number of classroom teaching positions in an elementary school does not increase from one school year to the next, but there exists in that school a need to realign the number of teachers in one or more grade levels, kindergarten through six, teachers at the school may be reassigned to grade levels for which they are certified without that position being posted; provided that, the employee and the county board mutually agree to the reassignment.
AN EMPLOYEE MAY BE REPRESENTED BY COUNSEL, A FELLOW EMPLOYEE OR AN AFT REPRESENTATIVE AT A TRANSFER HEARING.